Combined EBQ and EBT camp, July 16-21, 2017, at the University of Scranton, PA
|2016 EBQ/EBT Group Photo|
This five-day intensive training event will provide all contact hours required for EBQ - Level I Qigong instructor certification. Split-course material will also be provided for those wishing to complete the second 5-day training for Evidence-Based Taiji (EBTTM) certification. Note: the intention to obtain instructor certification is not a requisite for attendance - the camp is for all persons interested in learning the essential foundation of Dr. Yang's qigong and taiji curriculum.
To learn more about the camp experience, you can:
Three steps are required for enrollment in the CTQS 5-day EBQ/EBT camp. They must be completed in order:
- Interested persons must first submit an application. Space is limited to ensure adequate training with Dr. Yang, so you are encouraged to apply early.
- An acceptance notification will be emailed to you which will include links to first a 1) waiver/license form, and then a 2) registration form. Both forms are necessary to complete registration.
- Either downpayment or full payment should be paid within 2 weeks of notification of acceptance to reserve your spot at the training. The application will be considered invalid if registration and a deposit are not received within two weeks of acceptance notification.
Curriculum will include Dr. Yang's Evidence-Based Qigong (EBQ) and Evidence-Based Taiji (EBT) programs. This is the curriculum that Dr. Yang designed when creating a program for research, after asking the question "what are the essential components of traditional training that will yield the most measurable benefit in the shortest amount of time?" The programs are the foundation of Dr. Yang's qigong and taiji practice and teaching.
The Qigong (EBQ) curriculum includes:
- Static qigong meditations in standing, lying-down, and sitting postures, including instruction in Dr. Yang's unique fuctional meditation program;
- Traditional dynamic (moving) qigong; and
- Agility drills (moderate cardio footwork, coordination, and agility training);
The taiji (EBT) curriculum includes instruction in an introductory 7-movement taiji form distilled from the Chen Shi Hunyuan 48-form. The movements were selected by Dr. Yang to be accessible to persons of all ages and physical ability, but challenging enough to yield improvements in motor skill, coordination, and cognitive function.
Logistics / Cost / Admission / Deadlines
Training will be held at The University of Scranton campus, Scranton, PA. Training will be in Leahy Hall (Kane Forum), and on-campus housing will be in Montrone Hall.
A campus map is available here. Montrone is building #37, and Leahy hall is building #6.
Check-in will be from 3:00-5:00p Sunday, July 16, followed by dinner and instruction from 7:00-8:30P. Check-out will follow breakfast on Friday, July 21, and the camp will end with review/instruction until 12:00p. A pdf of the schedule is available here.
The University of Scranton is located in Northeastern Pennsylvania in the center of the city of Scranton. The campus is 2 hours from New York City and 2 hours from Philadelphia and is easily accessible by car, bus or air. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre International Airport (AVP) is only a fifteen minute drive from campus.
Directions to the University of Scranton campus are available here.
Meals will be provided in the "Fresh Food Company" Dining Hall on the third floor of the Denaples Center (building 38 on the campus map.) Vegetarian options will be available. Dinner will be provided on the first evening (Sunday, July 16), and breakfast will be provided on the last day (Friday, July 21).
There are two options for lodging:
- On campus lodging: Montorone Hall is a new dorm facility with suite style housing: each suit has four rooms with single beds: two rooms share a bathroom. All suites are air conditioned. Linens/pillows are provided. All room reservations will be single occupancy (one person per room, two rooms per shared bathroom). All campers will be housed together in two floors on Montrone Hall. Each suite shares a common kitchen with a refrigerator.
- Commuting: You are welcome to arrange your own lodging at nearby hotels and commute to camp.
You will indicate your housing preference on the registration form. If you elect to stay on-site, we will make all reservations/arrangements for you and the cost of the lodging/meals will be included in your payment to the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies. If you elect to commute from a nearby hotel, you will need to make the reservations with the hotel yourself. Commuters will be charged a commuter fee for facility use and meals with tuition payment.
A total cost calculator is provided below to assist with cost calulations.
Tuition: Base tuition is $1100, payable to the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies. Available tuition discounts are detailed below. Lodging and meal costs are additional to tuition.
Discounts: The following tuition discounts are available. The maximum discount is early regisration + either EBQ/T certification or previous 5-day camp attendance from 2013-2016:
- Early registration: ($50) If downpayment is received before April 1, 2017, a $50 discount will be applied to tuition. AND;
- EBQ/T certification: ($200) Those with current instructor certifications are eligible for an additional $200 discount. OR;
- Previous 5-day camp attendance (2013-2016): ($100) Those that have attended a 5-day training camp with Dr. Yang from 2013-2016 are eligible for a $100 discount.
Note: those attending the 48 form camp immediately following the EBQ/T camp are eligible for an additional $200 discount for 48 camp tuition.
Lodging and Meal Cost:The following costs are for the entire 5 day training period, inlcude lodging and meals, and are in addition to tuition:
- On campus dorm lodging (single room with two beds): $385
- Commuter Rate (meals and facilty use fee only, non-negotiable): $195
Total Cost Calculator:
To use this calculator:
- Tuition: Select "1100" for EBQ/EBT camp tuition; AND
- Meals & Lodging: Select "385" if you are staying in a dorm room on campus, or "195" if you are commuting; AND
- Early Registration Discount: "50" for early registration if downpayment was remitted prior to April 1, 2017; otherwise select "0"; AND
- EBQ/T Certification Discount: Select "200" if your EBQ/T instructor certification is current; otherwise select "0"; OR
- Multiple Camp Discount: Select "100" if you have attended a 5-day from 2013-2016; otherwise select "0".
- Click on the "Total" button to calculate total amount due
* Either the EBQ/T certification or mutliple camp discount must be set to "0" - you cannot apply both. *
Note: If you are also attending the 2017 48-form camp, calculate the cost of that separately on the 48 camp page. If a companion will be travelling with you that will not be attending the training, they will have to pay lodging (if staying in a campus dorm room) and meals (if dining with the group) separately.
You may reserve your spot with a downpayment of $450, or pay the entire amount due initially.
There are three options for payment:
- check or money order, payable to Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies, and mailed to: Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies, 1408 Mayfair Rd, Champaign, IL 61821
- PayPal account: If you have a PayPal acount, you can transfer the fee to the CTS paypal account. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Scott at scott"at symbol"centerfortaiji.com to request the CTS account email address.
- credit card: we can send you an invoice through Paypal which you can pay by credit card. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Scott at scott"at symbol"centerfortaiji.com to request an invoice payable by credit card.
Please note that final payment is due by July 1, 2017, or with your registration if registering after July 1.
Registration and downpayment must be received by April 1, 2017 to receive a $50 tuition reduction. You may forward the $450 deposit with your registration anytime after April 1, 2017 to reserve your space at camp, but after that date you will not be eligible for the $50 tuition reduction.
If for any reason you must cancel your reservation, your deposit will be refunded, less a $50 application fee, until May 10, 2017. If you cancel after May 10, 2017, a 50% refund will be available until July 1, 2017. After July 1, 2017, no refund will be given but you may use the deposit as a credit for future training events.
Final payment is due by July 1, 2017, or upon registering if registering after that date. If an amount remains due at camp, that amount may be paid by credit card only and will be subject to the 3% convenience fee.
A link to additional logistics/FAQs about camp, including information on final payment calculations, a ride-sharing spreasheet link, check-in, and what to bring to camp will be provided in June 2017.
*The "Center for Taiji Studies" and "Dr. Yang's Evidence-Based Traditional Taiji (EBTTM) and Evidence-Based Qigong (EBQTM) Programs" are trademarks of the Center for Taiji Studies (CTS). All rights reserved. Dr. Yang Yang's EBTTM and EBQTM programs and methods of instruction are the unique product of his lifelong practice with top traditional masters of China, over 30 years of experience teaching Taiji & Qigong in China and America, and his research in mind/body wellness. The combined curriculum and methods of instruction constitute the valuable and proprietary intellectual property of Dr. Yang Yang and/or the CTS. Certification is entirely at the discretion of Dr. Yang Yang and/or the CTS and may be withheld or withdrawn at any time by Dr. Yang Yang and/or the CTS.
License/certification to teach Dr. Yang Yang's program, and to use CTS trademarks and/or servicemarks in advertising/promotion, is limited to instructors with current certification. Certified instructors will be required to sign a written agreement indicating that they will appropriately attribute the EBQ and EBT programs to Dr. Yang Yang and the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies, and that they will not modify the program to create another program offered under a different name .