Summer 48-Form Camp, July 21-26, 2017, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA.
|2016 48-Camp Group Photo|
This will be the fourth annual 48 camp, and will be conducted immediately following the 2017 EBQ/EBT instructor certification camp. This camp provides instruction in the longer traditional 48 movement form. This form is the next step for those interested in continuing taiji studies beyond the introductory EBT form.
Application and Registration
If you have attended camp in the past three years (2014-2016), you need only submit a waiver and registration form. If you have not attended camp in the past three years, you must first submit an application. Please note that, as the registration form auto-populates a spreadsheet registration list, every attendee, including part-timers, must submit a waiver and registration form. Here are the forms:
- Application (not needed if you have attended in past three years)
- Waiver - required for every attendee
- Registration - required for every attendee
Focus this year will be on a careful examination of the final twelve movements (Section 4 of 4 Sections) of the 48 movement form. Master Yang will focus significant attention on developing deeper understandings of core principles, energies and applications. Knowelge of the first 3 Sections of the form is not a requiste for the camp.
We will continue practicing key standing and moving qigong drills in the mornings and sitting meditation in the evenings. As always, Master Yang’s instruction will focus on the importance of nurturing ourselves (yang shen) and, in the case of push hands, nurturing our training partners. In connection with this, we will again alternate between conventional upright training (in form, pushhands, and applications) and recumbent qigong exercises to restore energy and cultivate critical dimensions of deep relaxation.
Logistics / Cost / Admission / Deadlines
Training will be held at The University of Scranton campus, Scranton, PA. Training will be in Leahy Hall (Kane Forum), and on-campus housing will be in Montrone Hall.
A campus map is available here. Montrone is building #37, and Leahy hall is building #6.
Check-in will be from 3:00-5:00p Friday, July 21, followed by dinner and instruction from 7:00-8:30P. Check-out will follow breakfast on Wednesday, July 26, and the camp will end with review/instruction until 12:00p. A pdf of the schedule is available here.
The University of Scranton is located in Northeastern Pennsylvania in the center of the city of Scranton. The campus is 2 hours from New York City and 2 hours from Philadelphia and is easily accessible by car, bus or air. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre International Airport (AVP) is only a fifteen minute drive from campus.
Directions to the University of Scranton campus are available here.
Meals will be provided in the "Fresh Food Company" Dining Hall on the third floor of the Denaples Center (building 38 on the campus map.) Vegetarian options will be available. Dinner will be provided on the first evening (Wednesday, July 21), and breakfast will be provided on the last day (Friday, July 26).
There are two options for lodging:
- On campus lodging: Montorone Hall is a new dorm facility with suite style housing: each suit has four rooms with single beds: two rooms share a bathroom. All suites are air conditioned. Linens/pillows are provided. All room reservations will be single occupancy (one person per room, two rooms per shared bathroom). All campers will be housed together in two floors on Montrone Hall. Each suite shares a common kitchen with a refrigerator.
- Commuting: You are welcome to arrange your own lodging at nearby hotels and commute to camp.
You will indicate your housing preference on the registration form. If you elect to stay on-site, we will make all reservations/arrangements for you and the cost of the lodging/meals will be included in your payment to the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies. If you elect to commute from a nearby hotel, you will need to make the reservations with the hotel yourself. Commuters will be charged a commuter fee for facility use and meals with tuition payment.
A total cost calculator is provided below to assist with cost calulations.
Tuition: Base tuition is $890, payable to the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies. Available tuition discounts are detailed below. Lodging and meal costs are additional to tuition.
Discounts: The following tuition discounts are available. The maximum discount is early regisration + either EBQ/T certification or previous 5-day camp attendance from 2013-2016:
- Early registration: ($50) If downpayment is received before April 1, 2017, a $50 discount will be applied to tuition. AND;
- EBQ/T certification: ($100) Those with current instructor certifications are eligible for an additional $100 discount. OR;
- Previous 5-day camp attendance (2013-2016): ($50-$200) Those that have attended a 5-day training camp with Dr. Yang from 2013-2016 are eligible for a $50 discount. If you attended the Pao Cui camp in June 2017 or the 2017 EBQ/EBT camp the week prior, you are eligible for a $200 discount.
Lodging and Meal Cost:The following costs are for the entire 5 day training period, inlcude lodging and meals, and are in addition to tuition:
- On campus dorm lodging (single room with two beds): $385
- Commuter Rate (meals and facilty use fee only, non-negotiable): $195
Total Cost Calculator:
To use this calculator:
- Tuition: Select "890" for EBQ/EBT camp tuition; AND
- Meals & Lodging: Select "385" if you are staying in a dorm room on campus, or "195" if you are commuting; AND
- Early Registration Discount: "50" for early registration if downpayment was remitted prior to April 1, 2017; otherwise select "0"; AND
- EBQ/T Certification Discount: Select "100" if your EBQ/T instructor certification is current; otherwise select "0"; OR
- Multiple Camp Discount: Select "50" if you have attended a 5-day from 2013-2016; select "200" if you attended the June 2017 Blowing Rock camp or the 2017 EBQ/EBT the week prior; otherwise select "0".
- Click on the "Total" button to calculate total amount due
* Either the EBQ/T certification or mutliple camp discount must be set to "0" - you cannot apply both. *
Note: If a companion will be travelling with you that will not be attending the training, they will have to pay lodging (if staying in a campus dorm room) and meals (if dining with the group) separately.
You may reserve your spot with a downpayment of $450, or pay the entire amount due initially.
There are three options for payment:
- check or money order, payable to Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies, and mailed to: Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies, 1408 Mayfair Rd, Champaign, IL 61821
- PayPal account: If you have a PayPal acount, you can transfer the fee to the CTS paypal account. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Scott at scott"at symbol"centerfortaiji.com to request the CTS account email address.
- credit card: we can send you an invoice through Paypal which you can pay by credit card. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Scott at scott"at symbol"centerfortaiji.com to request an invoice payable by credit card.
Please note that final payment is due by July 1, 2017, or with your registration if registering after July 1.
Registration and downpayment must be received by April 1, 2017 to receive a $50 tuition reduction. You may forward the $450 deposit with your registration anytime after April 1, 2017 to reserve your space at camp, but after that date you will not be eligible for the $50 tuition reduction.
If for any reason you must cancel your reservation, your deposit will be refunded, less a $50 application fee, until May 10, 2017. If you cancel after May 10, 2017, a 50% refund will be available until July 1, 2017. After July 1, 2017, no refund will be given but you may use the deposit as a credit for future training events.
Final payment is due by July 1, 2017, or upon registering if registering after that date. If an amount remains due at camp, that amount may be paid by credit card only and will be subject to the 3% convenience fee.
A link to additional logistics/FAQs about camp, including information on final payment calculations, a ride-sharing spreasheet link, check-in, and what to bring to camp will be provided in June 2017.